Whilst we are primarily a student club, we have a number of non-student members, many of whom contribute a great deal to the club. Non-student members must, however, be approved by the Edinburgh University Sports Union (EUSU). EUSU must approve a non-student member before they can come on any trips.
The Points System
Approvals are made on the basis of a points system organised by the EUSU. Non-students are only likely to be approved if they have a minimum of 6 points. Points are awarded as follows:
- University of Edinburgh Staff: 6 points
- Coaching/Leading Qualification: 4 points (See Note 1 below)
- Graduate of the University of Edinburgh: 3 points
- First Aid Certificate or other Health and Safety Qualification: 3 points
- Minibus Licence/Permit: 2 points
- Driving Licence: 1 point
- ‘Discretionary’ Points: 2 points (See Note 2 below)
Note 1: Many of the training courses the club offers can be accepted as a ‘Coaching/Leading Qualification’. This includes the professional run courses at Firbush, Glenmore Lodge and the Mountain Leader training.
How to join
If you wish to come on a trip you must ensure you have followed the application procedure outlined below at least one week before the date of the trip. This gives of those involved plenty of time to complete the relevant paperwork. Please note that this means that non-students must join the club at least a month in advance of the sign-up night for a trip.
The procedure to become a non-student member is relatively straightforward. Simply follow these steps:
- Look through the points system, and work out if you have at least 6 points. If not, then it is unlikely you will be able to join the club at present. However, we may be able to assist with getting additional points. For example by allowing you to attend a club run First Aid course. If in doubt, ask one of the committee.
- If you have at least 6 points, you then need to fill in the non-student form and email it to our secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If, and only if, you need the 4 points for ‘Coaching/Leading Qualification’ you will also have to fill in the terms of engagement. Please send an electronic copy of the completed form to our secretary along with the non-student form at email@example.com. Then print out a copy, sign and date it, and pass it to one of the committee in the pub on a Tuesday.
- Once you have completed all the relevant paperwork, we will submit the application on your behalf to EUSU. Provided you meet EUSU’s criteria, you should be approved within a week.
- At this point, and not before, you will be able to become a member and come on club trips.
If you have any questions, please email our secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org