Edinburgh University Hillwalking Club
I’m going to do the Cobbler, and Jonathon is going to do the Cobbler plus Beinn Narnain.
I’ll do Ben Vane and Beinn Ime, but plan to not do Beinn Ime if we’re behind schedule by the time we get to Lag Uaine.
Rats, was thinking about Beinn Narnain & Cobbler myself. Could do them in reverse order to Alex/Jonathon (i.e. Narnain first), or Cobbler & Beinn Ime (in either order), all of these have the half-time cop-out option at Bealach a’Mhaim if necessary.
I’m going to lead what I guess is ‘the easy walk’. Straight up the path on the South East slope of Beinn Narnain, over the top, descending the north west slope. Pick up the path in the valley and back down for a pint before home time.
At a leisurely pace, about 4 hours up and 2 back down again. It’s about 11km with a bit over 1000m ascent (which is not as scary as it sounds)
I’m planning to climb Ben Vane, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain, starting at Inveruglas and finishing in Arrochar. Given the time constraints, this might be a bit long, so can finish after Beinn Ime if it’s looking like we’re falling behind.
The planned route is ~18km and ~1670m ascent, and should take between 7.5 and 8.5 hours.
I am planning on doing Beinn Chabhair
I’m quite keen to get Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach done and I’m up for leading that walk.
I’m keen to do Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg on Saturday.
I get a sense I want to save Ben Nevis for some reason.
So do I. I’ll only go up it if the weather is good.
Damn I would have done that if I could drive. I’ve told Gregor that I’m doing Binnien Mor and Na Gruagaichean on Saturday and Buachaille Etive Mor on Sunday but on reflection I might not be fit enough to do both so I might do something easier on Sunday i.e. Pap of Glencoe.
I think I’d be keen for some of the Loch Quoich hills if the weather was okay. And then maybe the Loch Lochy hills or Creag Meagaidh on Sunday.
I was thinking the grey corries if anyone’s up for big one? Alex Tuck…?
I was wondering about combining them with the Aonachs…? 🙂
25 km, 2300 m ascent… of which 9 km is on track so doesn’t really count…
Would you do them on Sunday as it’s on the way home? I was thinking Loch Quoich Saturday, Corries or Creag Meagaidh Sunday.
I think the grey corries are a bit long for a Sunday walk, and the weather is meant to be better on Saturday.
I was thinking Gairich on the south side of Loch Quoich for Saturday or if the weather was good the Ring of Steal.
Sunday could be Ben Tee, the Corbett behind the hostel, or the two Munroe west of Loch Treig, or the two corbetts between those and the grey corries. Lots of options.
How many cars did we get in the end? Will we be limited by transport?
I think we are good for transport.
I’m looking at doing Sgurr a’ Mhaoraich,
Right, if the weather is good i’m doing a 6 munro mamores madness marathon. It will start with Binnein Mor and end with Sgurr a’ Mhaim. This is to get out of peeling vegetables.
I would be up for the Aonach Eagach, but only if the weather’s good. Otherwise Sgurr Eilde Mor in the Mamores or something down Glen Etive.
I’d like to do Buachaille Etive Mor on the Sunday.
If the weather forecast stays the way it is I might try and organise an easier Ben Nevis walk (without making it too boring of course).
I’m also up for the Aonach Eagach if no one wants to do my Mamores epic.
I definitely want to get up Lochnagar this weekend.
Julia has asked me to run a Navigation Skills day on the Saturday, so if any of you want to learn how to find your way about on the hill this is for you. Depending on available transport we will either be going to Glen Shee or Loch Muick. Maps (plus mapcases!) & compasses will be provided.
For Sunday, I’ll go with the flow; which will probably mean something in Glen Shee, as it is on the way back. Plus more Nav. training if there is demand.
The White Mounth plateau walk is quite tempting for Saturday: 29km/18 miles, 1228m ascent and 5 munros starting with Lochnagar 🙂
I want to do Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, and the 4 associated tops on Saturday (c24k and 800m in 8-10 hours). Then, on Sunday, I fancy doing An Sacoch from Gel Shee (16k adnd 580m in 5-6 hours)
I’m a bit undecided about Saturday so I might just go with Jim if it involves hills I’ve never done before. If not then I might walk from Glen Muick to Glen Callater via Lochnagar and the next two W of it. Sunday I’d like to do Morven and then faff around a bit.
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’Chroin looking like the best option so far.
Please can we swap our weather for the stuff they got last weekend?
I’m looking at Cat Bells, Maiden Moor and High Spy for Saturday and then walking back to Hawse End along Derwent Water therefore I wouldn’t need transport. Sunday don’t know.
Weather looking very interesting during the week but should settle by weekend, still cold and lots of snow on ground but not much more to fall.
It’s looking less windy than it said it would yesterday. I think I might try and do Ben Ghlas and Ben Lawers although people might want to save them for a nicer day?
Because we start so high up for the Lawers lot I’m inclined to do them anyway – i was thinking the Lawers 5 if we can sort out a car for the bottom. If not, the two to the North would be good as well.
I think the two to the north (I assume Meall Corranaich and Meall a’ Choire Leith) would be a good deal.
so do I. I think I’ll leave the Ben Lawers group for now.
I’ve just got back from today’s walk at 2am, so will probably give this one a miss. Unless I just happen to wake early 🙂
Judging by how long it took for my walk today (at least twice as long as expected, due to conditions underfoot) it’s probably a really good idea not to try the whole Lawers group!
That said, the weather was actually better than expected, not too windy at all, just lots of snow and ice made progress slow.
Club website: http://euhwc.eusu.ed.ac.ukFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/euhwcTwitter: https://twitter.com/EUHWC
Unsubscribe from this mailing list:http://euhwc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/mailing-lists?action=unsubscribe&email=anna_j%40btinternet.com&list=hillwalkers%40lists.ed.ac.uk
What are people planning for Saturday? I was thinking the Glen Strathfarrar 4 (especially if we can get two cars) or Mam Sodhail, Carn Eige and Beinn Fhionnlaidh.
I’d be keen for Strathfarrar, not necessarily all 4 though. Or if anyone can be bothered organising a boat out to the bottom of the Loch Mullardoch ones but that seems like a bit of a hassle.
If the boat people are normal then they will have stored it for the winter.
The Loch Mullardoch munros (Carn Nan Gobhar, Sgurr Na Lapaich, An Riabhachan and An Socach) would be a good long walk option for Saturday, even without a boat 🙂
Is anyone up for an uber early start on saturday, i’d really like a full day out but its gonna take at least 4 hours to cook dinner! eek!
peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel peel…
Lucy – I did get a trip place in the end, yay! I’m always up for an uber-early start!! Or we can peel loads of potatoes the night before and leave them in water, would save a fair bit of time on Saturday…
good plan stan!!
you can bring my book!
To be honest an early start doesnt sound too bad, and peeling isnt too bad when you have some beer sitting next to you. This would give you guys a car, but it would be good to know what you are thinking of doing and just how EARLY early actually is! Circular walk obviously makes sense, with the Loch Beinn a Mheadhoin 2 (Tom a’ Choinich & Toll Creagach) certainly being an easy option. Also a graham nearby if the weather is in fact truly awful (might have done those 2 before but dont really care)
The Loch Mullardoch 4 with the boat would be great but I don’t know if it’ll be possible to organise. I found this number (01456 415347) on one site, does anyone else have other contact details? I’ll try calling tomorrow to see if it’s possible but even if the boat is available it’ll be difficult to confirm a booking before we know if there are enough people to make the cost per person reasonable.
If this isn’t possible I’m thinking about Carn Eighe and Mam Sodhail up Glen Affric.
So…. just looked at weather and avalanche forecast. Corbett’s are really underrated.
Thinking about going down to glen affric tomorrow. We can stay quite low for a while, where it should be quite sheltered and then nip up to grab Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige (and maybe Beinn Fhionnlaidh, depending on the conditions) via a (probably hidden) path up which I think should be quite low avalanche risk.
Starts here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/directions.php?w=334
Top third of this route: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/Lochaffric.shtml
I’m recovering from a bad dose of cold/’flu, so will want to do something fairly easy and short(ish), so something in the Monaliadth ending in a pub in Newtonmore waiting for transport if necessary sounds good.
I reckon A’Chailleach and Carn Sgulain from Newtonmore should be feasible on Saturday. Probably about 20k and about 800m ascent. 9 hours? Would allow a couple of hours of boozing for Jim before we drive back.
I was keen to do Bidean on Saturday, but the avalanche forecast is looking a bit dodgy at the moment…
And will stay like that because it is forecast to be very windy. Everything close by is north facing except the Mamores. I want to do Beinn Dorain or Stob a’ choire odhair on the Sunday, not sure about Saturday. Maybe Creise and Meall a’Bhuiridh.
I’d like to get into Glen Etive, given its impossible to get there by public transport. The 2 (Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Beinn Fionnlaidh) on the North-East side, and 3 (Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich and Glas Bheinn Mhor) on the South-West side I need to get done. Both walks involve a little bit of northerly aspect however, so might not be very advisable…
If all else fails I might just amble up Buchaille Etive Beag.
Anyone considered a winter traverse of the Aonach Eagach? Looks like the conditions might be a bit sketchy, but I think I’ll bring the rope just in case it clears up by some miracle…
I am currently planning Beinn Eighe on Saturday, Liathach on Sunday, and perhaps Fionn Bheinn on the way home. I will use the Beinn Eighe walk to have a good look at the North aspects of Liathach and decide whether it is possible. If not, pop up to Slioch? If the weather isn’t happy/I get stupendously drunk one night then the Diabaig coastal walk or assorted Corbetts will be the order of the day.
Having already done Beinn Alligin in extraordinary weather I will probably leave it alone this time round.
I’d like to do Beinn Dearg one day and go to Applecross for scallops another (doing the Corbett from the top of the pass on the way). I’d also be up for Liathach if conditions are good, but I doubt they will be. Slioch is another possibility but only if the weather is good, I’ve already done it in terrible weather.
I’m also keen to do Beinn Eighe on Saturday – I managed to miss out on the northern summit last time… Then probably Fionn Bheinn on Sunday. Not sure about Monday – maybe some corbetts, or something on the way home (if the weather turns pants).
I would do Fionn Bheinn on the way home – bit out of the way from Torridon?
It’s only a 30 minute drive… So not that far.
Weather’s looking best on Saturday, after that cloudy and breezy, and all on coastal hills south of Ullapool (i.e. Torridon). With the wind on Sunday I doubt Liathach will be an option, but the forecast might improve.
Fionn Bheinn sounds good for the way home. As it stands I’ll do Beinn Dearg on Saturday, Applecross on Sunday, and Fionn Bheinn on Monday. I’ll do some route cards now.
When I said I’d do route cards I meant for Saturday and Sunday. I’ll leave the Fionn Bheinn route card to someone else.
Sorry I’ve taken so long to post stuff – it’s been really frantic wrapping everything up before the holidays. Had also considered Beinn Dearg for Saturday, or possibly Slioch. Had also thought about Liathach for the Sunday, but think the weather will prevent this. Am happy doing something different that hasn’t been offered yet, though. Haven’t done any route cards yet (too busy!), but can fill one out quickly tonight.
I will be up for doing some of the Achnashellach hills. Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh on the Saturday, and perhaps Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a’ Chaorachain on the Sunday. See how the weather is etc…
I’m keen to do Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh too. And I’ll probably do Beinn Fhada on Sunday, and come down via the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge for a wee bit of scrambling.
I would like to do South Glen Shiel Ridge on Saturday if transport can be arranged and weather/condition permit it.
So myself and Jan talked about doing Glas Tulaichen and Carn an Righ. I’m happy to just do Glas Tulaicen if people just want to do that.
Are any of the drivers up for a 1 day extension? I have another day off work so I would be dead keen.
So this is my Saturday plan. Weather dependent of course.
Maybe Tarmachan Ridge on Sunday. Has anyone driven a minibus up that road before?
It’s steep but should be fine.
I’m going to do Aonachs + Nevis or Aonach Eagach on Sat and Bidean on Sunday
My plan for Saturday is essentially doing this walk: http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/maps/mappages/mamores3map.html but without the very eastern Munro and I might do Stob a’ Chorin (on the west) as well.
For Sunday I am thinking of doing Sgorr Dhearg and Sgorr Dhonuill from South Ballachulish (It’s a variation of this one: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/beinnabheithir.shtml) Looking forward to the Clachaig Inn afterwards 😀
Saturday – either Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor
or Buachaille Etive Mor
Sunday – Creise and Meall a’Bhuiridh
We might get a bit of snowfall on the peaks this weekend:
I’m going to do the South Glen Shiel ridge on Saturday and Chno Dearg & Stob Coire Sgriodain on Sunday – if that is the way we go home.
Rose and I are going to do the Creag Meagaidh circuit on Saturday. Not sure about Sunday.
Saturday I will do the Five Sisters of Kintail.
Sunday I will possibly do Stob Coire Easain & Stob a’Choire Mheadhoin.
Chris and myself are going to do the s. Shiel ridge, starting in the west and finishing at the inn, on Saturday and then hopefully the Forcan on Sunday if we can get transport that is willing.
I’m planning to do Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ on the Saturday. (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/glas-tulaichean.shtml) It’s a long walk but can be shortened by parking on the hotel car park, and also by leaving out Carn an Righ if things are slow.
Sunday I think I will do An Socach (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/an-socach.shtml).
I am thinking about doing Beinn Bhreac and Beinn a’Chaorainn on Saturday (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/beinn-a-chaorainn.shtml). It is a long walk, but it can be easily shortened if necessary.
On Sunday I would like to do An Socach as well….
I wish to join this trip. What is the procedure?
Hi Yatendra, Sign up will be on Tuesday the 21st in McSorleys pub, at 8:30pm. To join the trip, you need to be a member of the club, and have a good pair of hillwalking boots. Are you subscribed to the mailing list?
What are people planning to do?
My ideas (weather depending – so far it looks really good!!) are:
Saturday: If someone is interested I would be up doing the 6 western Mamores. This would be an extremely long walk (30km, 2500m ascent and roughly 14hours). Alternatively I am happy to do Buachaille Etive Mor (13km, 1100m ascent, 7hrs at most).
Sunday: Walks near Crianlarich: Ben Challum (12km, 900m ascent, 6 hrs). Alternative: An Caisteal and Beinn a’Chroin (14km, 1050m ascent, 7hrs at most).
Ring of Steall on Saturday.
Let’s try to avoid having too many “epic” walks on the freshers trips this year.