EUHWC is one of the biggest sports clubs in the university, with over 300 members. We offer students the chance to experience walking, hiking and scrambling (where you use your hands) in one of Europe’s last great wildernesses: the Scottish Highlands. We organise regular day and weekend trips to the mountainous areas of Scotland and Northern England. Walks with the club are organised by experienced members, but you do not need any previous experience to come along. Many of our members climb their first mountain with us.
Please take some time to explore the links below to find out more about hillwalking in Scotland and what we get up to as a club:
- What is Hillwalking?
- Joining and Prices: how to join the club, and membership and trip prices
- Club Trips: what to expect
- Equipment: what you need to bring on a walk
- Training: we offer lots of opportunities to improve your skills
- Walk Organising: who organises walks, and resources to do so
- FAQs: if you have a question, chances are we’ve been asked before
- Further reading
- The Committee: the people that run the club
- Check out our alumni section for previous yearbooks to see what the club has been up to over the last decade
How do I get involved?
Already decided you want to join? There are lots of ways to get involved:
- Come and find us in the pub. We’re usually at McSorleys pub from 9:00pm onwards on a Tuesday. Come find us and introduce yourself – we’re a friendly bunch!
- Join the mailing list. All official announcements are sent by email to our mailing list. This includes trips, social events and other important news.
- Come on a trip! New members are welcome on all trips. Just turn up to a sign-up night with money for the trip and membership. If you’re new to walking please let us know so we can make sure you know everything you need to. Day trips are really cheap and a great way to start off, but you will get to know people better on a weekend trip if you’re ready to jump in at the deep end!
- Join our the Facebook group.
- Follow us on Twitter.
If you’re a non-student and you’d like to join, please read this information first.